Sunday, February 1, 2009

the best 400kr I ever spent

ok so

just a quick post, whist i wait for a phone call. then it's bed time. i'm beat and tomorrow i need to have my game face on, cause it's international student orientation, so I gotta go make me some new friends.

but first:
i need to add to my strange/interesting things in copenhagen list:

(how could i have forgotten this one?)
4. Fur. everywhere. women wearing fur. men wearing fur. fur coats. fur hats. and today i saw what probably falls into the category of "fur scarf" but that is a stretch. it was clearly just a dead animal wrapped around a woman's neck. feet and everything. .... i am trying not to judge. but it's difficult.


---
ok
sommore picture perhaps? why not!

so on saturday, i went with some of my housemates down to city hall for a chinese new year celebration. there was free food and some funny things going on on stage. everything was in danish so we had no clue what was happening but it was fun anyways. i wandered around the city hall building with my new nepalese friend, and we chatted with some security guards and learned cool things about the building. so i'll put up some pics of that...

oh - important to note: i have decided to become a freegetarian. everything here is so freakin expensive, that i have to capitalize on opportunities for free things. including food. so. for the duration of my time in denmark, i am a vegetarian, UNLESS it is free. free dead cow? deepfried, please.

after the chinese new year celebrations, i walked home from downtown for the first time (instead of taking the metro) and saw some cool buildings and different parts of my neighbourhood, and i checked out some hotels where my parents might stay when they come to visit.

today (sunday), i went to the zoo with my housemate. the zoo! yes! the zoo! i love the zoo! i bought an annual pass, cause it was pretty cheep, actually. same price as my kettle. if i go to the zoo three times, then it will be worth it. and probably i will go three times a day, so it'll definitely be worth it. the gorillas was a false rumour. BUT they did have CHIMPS! YES! CHIMPS! i've never seen real live chimps not on tv! so that was pretty neat. there were two juveniles who were very playful and it was fun to watch. also they had hamadryous baboons, which i've never seen before... they were a lot smaller than i expected. and then they had a whole lot of other monkeys and totally awesome animals too. i'll post pics of that for sure too...

then tonight we had a house meeting with my hilarious landlord. it was nice to finally meet everybody living here, and sit down and just chat and talk and sample danish liquor. i think this house is gonna be a very comfortable place to live. i'm stoked.

ok
pictures
now




inside the main city hall in copehagen... it has a name... i can't remember... it's a really cool building




looking out the window from the free chinese food room, out over the main square of the city




one small section of ceiling over the magistrate stairwell inside city hall... it was fancy




looking at city hall from the square




walking home from downtown - the graffiti here is awesome




polar bear at the zoo! check out the teeth on the piece of carcass that it's eating.... only a lil bit creepy. they looked like horse teeth




...pretty self explanatory




emperor tamarin! so cool!




despite yesterday being absolutely freezing with flurries, i saw my first bit of copenhagen blue sky and sunshine! woot!





so chill




my very favourite thing in all of copenhagen




my new best friends




giraffes are way huger than i expected. i was somewhat overwhelmed by the awesomeness.




walking home from the zoo.... this picture is lovely because you can't tell that we were dying of freezingness.




is it just me.... or....???

3 comments:

  1. You should get yourself some fake blood and go out on the street to party. It'll be totally awesome.

    I think I've always been a freegetarian, in that I'll eat just about anything if it's free and edible. I'll be sure to buy you some veal should I come to visit. It's free right? Yes!

    Those pictures are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady!

    Looks like you're having an amazing time. I love your pictures. But, dammit, get a close up of your face so I can see your nose ring!

    Um, also that strange iguana thing looks like it's 50 million years old! It looks all wrinkly and...pale.

    I'm worried about Jeremiah, he's looking sad. Maybe I over-watered him? Maybe he doesn't like the sun? Maybe he's grieving over the hole you've left in his little green heart? I think maybe that's it. His little life has been shattered since you left, with the remnants cutting a jagged gash into his poor, limp heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new best friends! Plus, I'm glad that your new landlord is chill and that it's all working out :) Sounds like a pretty sweet setup. Miss you though.

    ReplyDelete